Laurence Wagman, CPA
Principal, ExeComp Solutions LLC
Laurence Wagman is the founding principal of Golden Parachute Tax Solutions LLC. His expertise is in the area of taxation of executive compensation, and is a nationally known resource within the area of golden parachute tax penalties (Internal Revenue Code Sections (“IRC”) 280G and 4999. Laurence has previously written several articles for both the Journal of Compensation and Benefits and the Taxation of Executive Compensation and Retirement on IRC Section 280G related matters this list includes: Structuring Change in Control Arrangements Within the Current Executive Compensation Environment (Sept 2009), The Golden Parachute Excise Tax; Why it’s about to Become More Expensive, Why a Gross-Up May be Necessary and How to Structure it to be Performance Based (July 2010), The Golden Parachute Excise Tax – Not Just a Public Company Issue (Sept 2011), and Canadian Employers – Beware the United Stated Golden Parachute Excise Tax as Not Just a U.S. Problem.
Laurence has had a number of recent speaking engagements. This list includes: Speaking at the 19th Annual National Association of Stock Plan Professionals (“NASPP”) Conference entitled After the Gross-Up Is Gone: Avoiding and Managing the 280G Excise Tax (Nov 2011). In 2012, Laurence gave a 280G Presentation entitled for the benefit of the NASPP NY/NJ (June) and CT (September) Chapters entitled Beware of the Golden Parachute Excise Tax: How Best to Structure Compensation Plans to Minimize 280G Risk. In 2013, Laurence once again spoke at NASPP’s National Conference as the lead panelist for the presentation Using Non-Competes to Reduce 280G Exposure). Also in 2013, Laurence was also a co-panelist at the Practicing Law Institute (“PLI”) for the presentation Hot Issues in Executive Compensation M&A Topics/Change in Control.
Prior to forming Golden Parachute Tax Solutions, Laurence was a tax manager with a “Big 4” executive compensation/employee benefits tax practice, and thereafter was an executive compensation consultant with James F. Reda and Associates, an independent executive compensation consulting firm. Laurence’s practical experience includes a unique perspective from both an executive compensation tax and executive compensation consulting disciplines.
Laurence is a graduate of Lehigh University (1995), received his Master of Science in Taxation at Seton Hall University (2002) and is a licensed Certified Public Accountant in the state of New Jersey. Laurence can be reached at lwagman@280Gsolutions.com.
Mary McLaughlin, CPA
Director, ExeComp Solutions LLC
Mary McLaughlin is a Director in the ExeComp Solutions practice based in Cleveland, Ohio. Mary has been practicing in the field of executive compensation for fifteen years, specializing in executive compensation and benefits, tax, and accounting issues including:
- Advising both compensation committees and management with respect to executive compensation programs, including working with publicly traded, private, and non-profit organizations on the design, implementation and operation of their compensation philosophy and strategy and the programs to support that strategy, including short-term and long-term incentive programs and total rewards;
- Advising on a number of compensation and benefit analyses including compensation benchmarking and proxy analyses;
- Assisting organizations with executive compensation issues in the context of financial restructuring, bankruptcies, IPOs, spin-offs, and mergers and acquisitions;
- Performing I.R.C. Section 280G golden parachute calculations in the context of an actual or hypothetical merger/acquisition;
- Performing reviews of the share based payment process related to ASC 718 and ASC 740 and putting together gap analyses reports for companies outlining the tax, accounting, and human resources issues; and
- Performing assessments of financial statement risks and controls related to employee benefit, executive compensation, and payroll processes for compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley 404.
Prior to joining ExeComp Solutions, Mary was in the People Advisory Services practice of EY. She is a CPA in the state of Ohio and has spoken regionally and nationally on several technical training programs.
Mary graduated with a BS in Business Administration and a Masters in Accountancy from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Mary can be reached at email@example.com